Sunday, April 20, 2008

A haiku to start with...

I have a friend who writes haikus for many occasions, and out of the blue yesterday I thought, what fun it would be to do a blog where I (or we--I have to ask her if she wants to play) write a daily haiku about...whatever. How fun and novel, or so I thought. Then when trying to create this blog, I found that MANY people had this fun and "unique" idea before me, so many of the URLs I tried before everydayhaikus.blogspot.com were already taken. C'est la vie. I'm doing this for fun, not notoriety!

And I hope my haikus will improve over time. Right now I just focus on the basic 5-7-5 pattern and see what comes out. Some will be fun, others more serious. Here are two I wrote yesterday:

Baby boogers
Baby booger taunts,

winking from tiny nostrils.
Success! I got it!

The theme of that one is pretty obvious. My nine month old has had lots of boogies lately, and they drive me nuts! :)

The next one is a lot more serious. This year has been rife with people and pets passing, and the last couple months have been espeically rough, as I have a cousin who had to terminate a pregnancy due to complications with the baby's development and the mother's health, another friend whose fourth baby was recently stillborn, and just this week, a friend I've known for years had to bury her 28-year-old daughter. It all weighs heavier on me than I realize, and intensifies my normally worrisome personality. These things CAN and DO happen to good people. And I ache for them and fear for myself and people close to me.

Christopher & Shannon
Two friends buried kids;

one stillborn, one twenty-eight;
so unfair, this life.

Do haikus have names? I gave these two names, but perhaps not all will compel me to name them. We shall see. :)

No comments: